If you’re wondering where is George in South Africa and how do you get there? and exactly which province is George in South Africa, then you’ve come to the right place! This guide is for anyone in whose planning on exploring the Garden Route and surrounding areas.
The city was established in 1811 is and has grown as a result of the growing demand for timber and the wood used in building, transport, and furniture.
The next oldest brown in South Africa is known for its lush landscape blend of rivers, rich farmlands, forests, and wildflowers, its stunning scenery
Where is George in South Africa
George is the second-largest city in the Western Cape province of South Africa. Perched on a plateau between the Outeniqua Mountains and the Indian Ocean, It’s located roughly halfway between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, on a coastal stretch known as the Garden Route.
How to get to George in South Africa
The best way to travel to George is by plane, bus or car. George Airport (IATA: GRJ) is an airport located in George, Western Cape.
A flight from Johannesburg to George is 1 hour and 50 minutes while the flight from Cape Town to George is 50 minutes long.
If you opt to drive, the distance between Johannesburg and George is 1200 km (12-13 hours) and Cape Town and George is about 450 km (4.5 – 5 hours).
Is George South Africa Safe to visit
George was voted as one of the best cities to live in South Africa. The quality of life score is obtained by ratings of a city’s purchasing power, safety, health care, climate, cost of living, traffic, and pollution.
George is tops with the highest safety rating (48) compared with Knysna’s 33,93 (second highest) and the other cities with scores of 30 or less.
Personal safety gadgets for solo female travelers visiting George
- Phone Lanyard: A phone sling where I can attach it to my belt/waist/bag so that I don’t drop/lose it (I’d die if anything happens to my phone!) Buy the black one. The elastic is stronger!
- Not your typical money belt: I chose this one and agree with the reviews that the material feels stronger. It’s also moisture-wicking and comfortable to wear! I know some similar products already have zippers but this one feels like it holds better but has no zippers. and acts like Spanx!
- The double-ended S-biner lock: With thousands of claims filed annually for lost items, you need a lock that can turn most handbags into thief-proof!
- Pacsafe Bra Pouch: Ideal to keep your money, IDs, and credit cards safe from pickpockets and thieves. The turn-and-snap connector clasp design is different from comparable products, easy to use, and prevents the pouch from unsnapping accidentally.
- Pacsafe Cash Belt: It’s metal-free-ish so you can wear it through security without setting off alarms! It holds cash AND your pants up. I love mine!
- Portable Door Jammer: Use for a door barricade in an Airbnb or hotel to be able to lock yourself in a room.
Travel Insurance for George in South Africa
Use travel insurance while visiting South Africa so you are covered for theft and medical expenses. There are a lot of adventurous activities to do in SA, and it’s best to have peace of mind while diving, hiking, and trying some of the best food in the world.
Find out why I recommend World Nomads, check out my World Nomads Insurance review.
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. This means that if you make a booking after clicking on a link, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you!